Contact Teacher Licensure for more information 785-296-2288
How do I apply for an initial teaching license?
● Submit a fingerprint card and fee for background clearance
● Complete Form 1 and submit it.
● The application will go to your university for verification. When the university has completed its portion, it will submit your application to KSDE. You will receive an email notification that is it time to submit your payment.
How do I upgrade my initial license?
You can upgrade an initial teaching, school specialist or school leadership license to the professional license based upon mentoring and experience by using Form 21 – an online application process.
How do I add an endorsement?
● You can add teaching endorsements to your teaching license by passing the appropriate content test. Elementary, early childhood and SPED endorsements can’t be added by testing. You must submit a Form 22 application and fee to add the endorsement.
● Complete a program in the new teaching, school specialist or school leadership area that you want to add. Find a university offering a program for your desired license area.
How do I become a teacher and what alternative routes exist?
● You must complete a teacher preparation program to earn a license for the subject you want to teach. This can be done as part of your bachelor’s degree or as a post-baccalaureate program. Find a university offering a program for your desired teaching subject and contact the licensure officer at the university in order to get started.
May I take online courses to become a teacher?
● The university offering online programs to earn a teaching license must have regional accreditation, and its programs must be approved by the state where the university is located.
● Many of the Kansas universities that provide programs to earn a teaching license offer some or all of the program coursework as online coursework.
● If you complete a program to earn a teaching license through an online university whose home state isn’t Kansas, you MUST earn a license from that state before you can apply for a Kansas license.
I am moving to Kansas with a teaching license. How do I get a Kansas license?
●Submit a Form 2 Out-of-State application packet.
●Submit a fingerprint card and fee for a fingerprint background clearance.